In 2017, our presence
in Canada focused on our Upstream
and Gas & Power businesses

Upstream in Canada

  • Exploration
  • Gas & Power
  • Production / development
Repsol in Canada


As of December 31st, 2017, Repsol owned mineral rights in Canada to a total net surface area of 7,147 km2 (3,368 km2 in exploration and 3,779 km2 in production/development). These figures include the important unconventional assets in Greater Edson, Chauvin, and Duvernay.

Net production for the year amounted to 7.8 mbbl of liquids and 81.7 bscf of natural gas, with a total equivalent net production of 22.4 mboe (61,335 boe/d). The proven reserves of liquids and natural gas were estimated at 120.3 mboe on December 31st, 2017.


  • In the first half of 2017, in Canada, Repsol acquired part of its partner Delphy's stake in some assets in the Bigstone area in Alberta, in the productive area of Greater Edson (until reaching a stake of 35%). Also, in Alberta, part of Gilby's stake in the Duvernay Area was acquired.
  • In this strategic North American country, the company's activity in 2017 focused on the unconventional hydrocarbon assets of Greater Edson, with production of oil and gas, concentrated around Edson (Alberta), with an average stake of 64% and covering six areas: Edson, Sundance/MedLodge, Ansell, and Minehead in the southern area and Wild River and Bigstone in the northern area. Also, in the production asset of Chauvin, located in Alberta/Saskatchewan and in Duvernay (non-mature area, in its first development and evaluation phase, with production of oil and gas, located in the central-western region of Alberta).

Gas & Power

We direct the Canaport™ LNG regasification plant in Saint John, New Brunswick with a 75% stake (our partner Irving Oil holds the other 25%).

The plant has a maximum send-out capacity of 1.2 billion cubic feet (bcf) per day and primarily serves customers in the Northeastern United States.


Net surface area
of mineral rights





barrels of
oil equivalent
per day

Net proved


of oil

Information on net production, net proved reserves, and mineral rights
as of December 31st, 2017